الجمعة، 17 أبريل 2009

Kathirikai Kichadi-Brinjal Gravy Recipe For Idli

Kathirikai kichadi recipe
I learnt this recipe from my Amma.It is a Tirunelveli(Tamil nadu) style Kathirikai sambar made as a side dish for Idli.My mom calls this as Kathirikai kichadi.So I've mentioned the same as title.You can call this Kathirikai gosthu,kochu etc..This is my most favorite sambar with brinjal.My mom makes this gravy especially for me whenever i visit her place.I am a great fan of brinjal recipes whereas Sendhil is just the reverse.Last week i got some fresh brinjals from my uncle’s garden.So I got tempted to make this kichadi for me and I prepared tomato sambar for my husband.It came out exactly like my mom’s preparation.I felt like eating from my mom’s handHappy.So I am sharing my mom’s recipe with you all.Try this recipe only if you are an ardent brinjal fan like me.In this sambar,you can enjoy the original flavor of brinjal.Asafetida,coriander leaves and small onions used in it helps to enhance the taste and flavor.So do try this sambar and enjoy with hot idli.Don’t forget to add gingely oil while serving.Lets see how to make this Tirunelveli style Kathirikai Kichadi with new updated picturesHappy 
brinjal kchidi

Kathirikai Kichadi Recipe


Kathirikai Kichadi Recipe Kathirikai Kichadi Recipe - Side dish for Idli
Cuisine: Indian
Category: Side dish
Serves: Serves 4
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Cook time: 20 Minutes
Total time: 30 Minutes


INGREDIENTS

  • Brinjal - 4 nos ( medium size) (Finely chopped )
  • Green chilli – 4 nos ( slit cut )
  • Tamarind –Small gooseberry size ( soak in water )
  • Small onions – 15 nos ( finely chopped )
  • Hing / Asafetida – 2 pinches
  • Salt & water - as needed
To season
  • Cooking oil - 1 tbsp
  • Mustard seeds- 1/4 tsp
  • Hing – 1/8 tsp
  • Urad dal – 1/4 tsp
  • Chana dal – 1/4 tsp
  • Coriander leaves – a fistful ( must add  to garnish )
METHOD
  • Wash and chop the brinjals into small pieces. Keep them immersed in water to prevent discoloration of brinjals.Slit the green chillies and set aside.chop the small onions roughly.Soak tamarind in little water and take the extract.Keep aside.
Kathirikai kichadi
  • Heat a pressure cooker base adding oil and saute the slitted green chillies. Add brinjals to it and mix well.Add little water,salt and pressure cook the brinjals in high flame for 2-3whistles.
Kathirikai kichadi
  • Open the cooker,drain the excess water in a bowl and mash the brinjals well with a whisk or a back of ladle.You can also grind the cooked brinjals to a paste if you like smooth paste like sambar.
Kathirikai kichadi

  • Heat oil in a kadai and splutter mustard seeds,urad dal,chana dal, half the hing and curry leaves.Saute the small onions.Add the tamarind extract and the drained water from brinjals.Allow the onions to cook well.Add  the remaining Asafetida,salt when the water boils.
Kathirikai kichadi 

  • After the onions are cooked,add the mashed brinjal with some water to adjust the consistency.Let the gravy boil well.Lastly garnish with coriander leaves and switch off the flame.
Kathirikai kichadi

Enjoy with hot idli adding a tsp of gingely oil/Sesame oil ! Don’t forget sesame oil adds a great taste to this kichadi.
Note
  • Please don’t forget to add asafetida/Hing twice here. Garnishing with coriander leaves is also a must.
 

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق