الاثنين، 9 يناير 2012

Easy Brinjal Curry/ Kathirikai Poriyal Recipe

I learnt this recipe from my neighbor. I am a big fan of brinjal but my hubby is just opposite to me. So i rarely buy this veggie and cook only for me specially. I love my mom’s brinjal stuffed poriyal very much. Next to that , this is the second best. It can be made in jiffy. It tastes the best with dal , sambar and morkuzhambu rice. I relished with keerai kuzhambu ..!!

brinjal curry

INGREDIENTS
  • Brinjal – 5 nos (medium size)
  • Sambar powder – 1 – 1.5 tsp
  • Tamarind – small gooseberry size
  • Jaggery – Small piece (Add more if want sweetish)
  • Salt & water – As needed
To temper & saute
  • Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
  • Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
  • Jeera – 1/2 tsp
  • Channa dal – 1/2 tsp
  • Curry leaves – few
  • Big onion – 1 no (slice cut)
  • Oil – As needed.
METHOD
  • Slit cut each brinjal into 8 pieces .Make thin slices so that it cooks quickly.Immerse in water till use. Soak tamarind in little water.
  • Heat oil in a kadai and temper all the items given above in the same order.
  • Saute onions till it turns transparent.Add the brinjal slices and saute for a minute.
  • Add the sambhar powder ,saute for sometime.Then add the tamarind extract , jaggery ,required water & salt.
  • Cover and cook for sometime.Switch off the flame once the brinjal is cooked.
****If u want in semi gravy consistency , switch off the flame when little water remains.It can be mixed in plain rice topped with ghee !!
Yummy brinjal curry is ready is to serve with dal rice , sambhar & morkuzhambu rice!!
BRINJAL CURRY 1
NOTE
  1. Use long green brinjal variety. But i used the normal purple ones.
  2. When i made this curry , i had cut the brinjal into 4 pieces so it was big to eat. Then my neighbour told me cut into very small , thin slices the next time. I found the taste was blended well when brinjal is small.

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق