الاثنين، 28 أكتوبر 2013

Spicy Pesto Guacamole

pesto guacamole

My tried and tested guacamole has always received rave reviews from my guests, but I wanted to step things up a notch this time around and, after seeing a few recipes for pesto guacamole, I was sold on the idea, especially as there was basil from my backyard that I wanted to use and I have never been known to turn my nose up at pesto — and certainly not at guacamole. As tends to happen in my kitchen, this one is spiced up.

pesto
Spicy Pesto

As the weather gets cooler, and we spend more time indoors and indulge in a bit more snacking, what better way to do so than with this healthy dip that goes well with any chopped vegetables, toasted pita triangles and certainly tortilla chips. It's perfect anytime of year and a patio favorite. My best friend Basil pipes up here and describes the whole experience after trying it with some healthy baked tortilla chips:
First bite begins with flavors of avocado, basil, tomato, onion and lime, followed up with a distinct transmission of salt to introduce a pepper rush, warmly tingling the palette. A lingering aftertaste of lime is later detected.
Well, make it yourself and let me know what you think.

Speaking of tortilla chips, those tortilla chips you see nestled up to the bowl of guacamole are really quite the tastiest tortilla chips I've ever had. Made with sprouted grains, sprouted legumes and sprouted seeds, and without any unpronounceable ingredients, these tortilla chips from Way Better Snacks are not just wonderfully crunchy and tasty, they're about as guilt-free a snack as you can get — check out their ingredients page. Terrific not only with the guacamole, I've enjoyed these chips numerous times for making nachos or just for snacking on as is. I did receive a sample of these chips from Way Better, but quite honestly I've added them several times to my own shopping list after finishing what was already a generous sample to begin with.

way better chips

And now, not only did I get to enjoy these chips, but Way Better is also going to give THREE of my U.S. or Canadian readers a box containing FIVE different bags of their tortilla chips from blue corn, multigrain, sweet chili, sweet potato and black bean.

The contest will run until November 11th and is open to readers in Canada and the US. Entering is easy. All you have to do is leave a comment on this post and mention your favorite way to serve up tortilla chips. I also invite you to follow my facebook page, but that's not necessary to enter the giveaway. Please do leave your email address with your comment if you don't have one associated with your blog or don't have a webpage so I can contact you should you win the random draw.

Note: I received some samples of these chips for possible review and loved them. After my verdict, I worked with a company representative to offer a giveaway to my readers. The opinions expressed here are my own as is the recipe.

Spicy Pesto GuacamoleSpicy Pesto Guacamole
Recipe by
Cuisine: Mexican
Published on October 28, 2013

Creamy, spicy and tangy homemade guacamole with a delightful and fragrant basil pesto

Print this recipePrint this recipe

Pesto:
  • 2 tablespoon pine nuts, dry roasted
  • 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
  • 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Guacamole:
  • 2 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
  • 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
  • 1 shallot, finely chopped
  • 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
  • juice from 1 small lime (1 1/2 tablespoons)
  • 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
  • fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Instructions:
  • Toast the pine nuts in a dry skillet over medium-low heat, tossing or stirring frequently, for 5 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.

  • Combine the pine nuts with the rest of the pesto ingredients in a food processor and pulse until fairly smooth. Add more olive oil as needed.

  • To make the guacamole, mash the avocado with a fork in a large bowl until smooth. Stir in the rest of the ingredients, including the pesto, until well mixed.

  • Serve with raw vegetables, tortilla chips or toasted pita triangles. Refrigerate leftove guacamole for up to 3 days.

Makes approximately 3 cups
spicy pesto guacamole

More dips and spreads from Lisa's Vegetarian Kitchen you are sure to enjoy:
Kalamata Olive Tapenade
Spicy Red Pepper Hummus
Red Lentil and Toasted Walnut Tapenade with Olives and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Corn and Pinto Bean Dip

On the top of the reading stack: the stacks are scattered about at the moment

Audio Accompaniment: A Person Disguised as People

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق