السبت، 2 مايو 2009

Tomato Sambar For Dosa - Sambar Without Dal

Thakkali sambar without dal
I always look for varieties of sambar/chutneys/kurma recipes for idli, dosa. Most of the Tamil people make idli/dosa at least 3-4 times in a week. Me too not an exception. Every time I used to hit my head for making side dish as I don’t like to repeat the same Tongue.So whenever I meet my friends or neighbors, I ask them about the side dish they make for idli/dosa/chapathi and try them in my kitchen. Last week my school friend Swarna called me and we talked more than one hour discussing our past, present etc:) I asked her about her idli sambar recipes. She told me this easy tomato sambar recipe without dal ( Thakkali sambar in Tamil) for idli,dosa. I love to try varieties of tomato recipes. So I got tempted and prepared it as a side dish for dosa. Basically Sendhil loves to have juicy sambar recipes more than chutney varieties for dosa. So he loved it very much with mild masala flavor. This sambar tastes well with chapathi too if you make it little thick like kurma by adding more coconut. Its a very simple and delicious recipe. Lets see how to make this yummy thakkali sambar for idli,dosa ( Tomato onion sambar) !
If interested , check out  my other tomato sambar recipes

Tomato sambar with coconut for idli
Tomato brinjal sambar for idli
Spicy sambar for dosa
Tomato sambar without dal, coconut and spices

Thakkali kuzhambu for rice
Tomato sambar recipe

Tomato sambar/Thakkali sambar for idli,dosa


Tomato sambar/Thakkali sambar for idli,dosa Tomato sambar/Thakkali sambar for idli, dosa - Tastes like kurma
Cuisine: South Indian
Category: Sambar recipes
Serves: Serves 2
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Cook time: 20 Minutes
Total time: 30 Minutes


INGREDIENTS

  • Ripe Tomato – 2 nos (chopped )
  • Big onion – 1 no (finely chopped)
  • Salt & water – as needed
  • Coriander leaves – to garnish
To grind:
  • Grated Coconut – 2 tbsp
  • Ginger - 1inch size
  • Green chilly – 2-4 nos(I added 2)
  • Fennel seeds/Soambu/Perunjeeragam – 1/2 tsp
To season:
  • Cooking oil - 1 tbsp
  • Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
  • Curry leaves – few
METHOD

Chop and cook the tomatoes adding enough water. Grind all the items given under “to grind “ along with cooked tomatoes adding required water.Make it a paste.Set aside.
Tomato sambar recipe
Tomato sambar recipe
Now heat the kadai with a tbsp of oil and season all the items given above.Add the chopped onions and saute till transparent.
Tomato sambar recipe
Now add the ground tomato masala to it and boil till raw smell leaves it. May take 5 mins.Add water if u make it for idly/dosa.If  you make it for chapathi, add less water and make the gravy thick.
Tomato sambar recipe
Finally garnish with coriander leaves and serve!! Enjoy !


Note

  • Adjust the quantity of chilli as per your taste buds.
  • Here I have not used whole spices like cinnamon, cloves etc. So this sambar tastes mildly spiced with ginger & fennel seeds flavor. If you wish, u can saute the whole spices along with onion. 
  • Garnish this sambar with coriander leaves if you have in hand.
Enjoy this yummy sambar with hot hot idli & dosa by drizzling a tsp of gingely oil !!
Tomato sambar recipe


ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق